Thursday, December 17, 2015

Getting started

Where to begin?

A regular enough question.  One that is asked regularly.  I always feel a little weird when asked. Because , honestly, I'm not in the greatest shape. I know guys, and girls, that are killling it on a way higher level than I am. So I sometimes feel a little awkward in these moments.

Just to be clear, if you have asked me, and I seemed standoffish it's because I'm uncertain I am the right person to be asking. But I do feel humbled that you asked.

Now then, to the question at hand: where to start?

Go for a walk.

That's all. Doesn't have to be complex. Through on the shoes and venture out.  You don't have to have some grand design, or meticulously crafted calorie intake to outtake formula.

Just go for a walk.

If you are not a regularly active person, this is the best way to go out and move.  Going for a walk is easy. There is no fancy equipment you need. No complex plan. And.... It's totally free. Ah yissss.... Free... Mmmm free.

A walk does a few things for you. First off it gives you a chance to have a moment of quiet, rare enough these days. Second it feels good. Third it is the easiest way to let you body know that things are changing.

Weight lifting is wonderful, but it puts a ton of stress , good stress, on you nervous system. But, if you not already acctive, it could be too much. Also, going from 0 to 60 without letting the engine warm up is a recipe for disaster.  Going for a walk let's you just move with out strain.

I found that getting started, most of my hiccups stemmed directly from the fact that I tried to much too early.  So I would get frustrated, and down on myself because I wasn't "sticking to the plan". So I would miss a work out here and one there.... Sometimes a whole week would burn up in my ennui.

A plan is good, but getting fit has to become a habit, and anyone who has had to change a habit knows that it's all about baby steps. Getting in shape is a habit of being active, just as much as being unfit is a result of the the habit of sitting on one's duff.

So, you have to take the time to make that new activity a habit.  A month... It is generally accepted that it takes a month to break or create a habit. So pick a time each day and just go for a walk. You'll be surprised how easy it is. After a month... Add something. But for that first month, just do twenty minutes,  ten out, ten back. Get to a point that you can carry a conversation, but feel a good rate moving.

It's really that easy getting started, just go for a walk.


No comments:

Post a Comment